Table of Contents
- 6 Best Italian Coffees
- 1. Lavazza Classico Ground Coffee Blend, Medium Roast
- 2. Medaglia D’Oro Italian Roast Decaffeinated Espresso Ground Coffee
- 3. Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee Dark Roast
- 4. Starbucks Dark Roast K-Cup Coffee Pods for Keurig Brewers
- 5. Lavazza Espresso Italiano Ground Coffee Blend, Medium Roast
- 6. Lavazza Qualita Oro Italian Coffee Whole Beans
- Buyer’s Guide
- Wrap Up
When you talk about Italy, you think about delicious pizza, beautiful art, designer shoes, and the rich cultural history of Rome. This list would, however, be incomplete without mentioning coffee.
Italian coffee is considered to be some of the best coffee in the world, and its many years of brewing heritage has brought the entire world some truly delicious blends of coffee. These blends have come forward after years of experimentation with recipes, beans, and different types of roasts.
If you, like us, appreciate good coffee when you drink it, you should be familiar with how great Italian coffee tastes. Italian coffee is made differently than American coffee, and this difference is mirrored in its overall taste and strength. A great example of this is that what is called an “Espresso shot” in America is called a “un Caffe” in Italy, which literally translates to “a coffee.” The normal in Italy is the extreme in America! (Read more about how Italian coffee compares to American coffee here.)
But considering how quickly good things travel throughout the world, Italian coffee is easily available throughout the world today. Picking out which blend of coffee is the best fit for you can be a daunting task because of the large number of options, so we have picked out and reviewed the best Italian coffee for you.
6 Best Italian Coffees
Blended and roasted in Italy, the Lavazza Classico Ground Coffee Blend is a full body medium roast with notes of dried fruit. The full-body profile gives the coffee a rich taste, while the medium roast ensures that the coffee is not too bitter. The hints of dried fruit also give the coffee a certain character.
This coffee is best used when made in a drip coffee maker or a french press, although it can be made in a Moka Pot as well if done properly. The beans used in the making of this coffee are Non-GMO. GMO stands for “genetically modified organism,” and what this means is that the coffee is completely natural and organic.
- Product weight — 12 ounces
- Roast — Medium
- Flavor profile — Medium
- Blend — Arabica and Robusta
- Can be easily made both in a drip coffee maker espresso machine or a French press
- Medium roast gives you both good taste and the energy associated with good coffee
- Completely organic with no GMOs
- Hints of dried fruit give it a certain character and better taste
- Making this coffee in a Moka Pot might be tricky
- Dried fruit aroma might not be for everyone
- Medium roast might not be the best fit for someone looking for a darker or stronger roast
This decaf offering from Medaglia consists of beans that are roasted and ground for a rich aroma and robust espresso flavor. The original version is an Italian classic, and the decaf version of the coffee is a way to provide all the taste associated with it without any caffeine.
If you enjoy coffee for just the taste of it and are okay with not getting a kick from the caffeine, this is a great choice for amateur and seasoned coffee drinkers alike.
Best consumed dark, this coffee is bold and can easily be made in any type of coffee maker. The coffee can be used to make different types of coffee as well, including tazza latte, cappuccino, or Espresso Italiano.
- Product weight — 10 ounces
- Roast — Dark decaf
- Blend — 100% Arabica
- For people who enjoy the bitter taste of coffee, a dark decaf roast is a great option as it gives you the taste without giving you the kick
- You can easily consume this coffee before bed and still get a good night’s sleep
- Dark roast ensures that the coffee is the right amount of strong and bitter for people who enjoy it that way
- Can be easily brewed in any espresso maker or a standard coffee maker as well
- Original Italian flavor
- Decaf coffee means that you will not enjoy the energetic benefits of the coffee
- New drinkers might not enjoy the strong aroma and taste of the dark roast
This list would be remiss without Starbucks, the world’s largest coffee chain that has predominantly taken over the entire planet with its franchise locations. The Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee is roasted and sweet, with hints of caramelized sugar in it which gives it an even better taste profile for people who prefer their coffee that way.
The best part about this being an instant coffee is that you do not need a coffee maker or an expensive espresso machine to make yourself a hot beverage. You can just tear open a packet, add hot water, wait for 10 seconds, and stir, and your steaming hot cup of coffee is ready!
- Product weight — 0.11 ounce x 50 packets
- Roast — Italian dark roast
- Blend — 100% Arabica
- Truly instant, you can have a cup of coffee for yourself in 10 seconds by just adding hot water and stirring
- The above also works if you want to make cold coffee, but you have to give it more time to dissolve properly
- You will get an even taste even with cold water
- Dark roast with caramelized sugar means that you get the best of both worlds, with a strong flavor and sweet undertones
- No fancy equipment needed to make the coffee
- Seasoned coffee drinkers argue that instant coffee never tastes the same as brewed coffee
- For people who prefer lighter roasts or do not like their coffee to have sweet undertones, this might not be the best fit
Another addition from Starbucks, this coffee comes in the form of pods for Keurig Brewers. With a dark roast with hints of dark chocolate and roasted marshmallow, the coffee provides a rich, deep flavor with notes of caramelized sugar.
Keurig Brewers have made coffee brewing extremely easy, where all you need to do is insert the cup in and press a few buttons, and the machine will do the rest for you. Starbucks has also made these Keurig cups recyclable for the good of the environment. If you have a Keurig Brewer at home, this can be an excellent fit for your coffee needs.
- Product amount — 6 packets x 10 pods (60 total pods)
- Roast — Dark
- Equipment needed — Keurig
- Extremely easy to make, just place it in a Keurig and press the required settings for a hot cup of coffee in less than a couple of minutes
- A dark roast that has flavors of dark chocolate and roasted marshmallows can be good as black coffee as well as with cream and sugar
- 60 pods in the package, which will last you for a month at two pods a day
- These pods need you to own a Keurig Brewer, which is not an inexpensive machine
- Seasoned coffee drinkers argue that coffee made in a Keurig is not as good as coffee made in espresso drip machines
Lavazza’s Espresso Italiano Ground Coffee Blend is a great medium roast option for both new and seasoned coffee drinkers. With an intensity of 5 on a scale of 10, this coffee is a 100% Arabica blend and can be made in any coffee maker, whether it’s a drip, press, or a Moka pot.
The medium roast of this coffee gives it a rich and fragrant flavor that also has aromatic undertones. The beans are also non-GMO, which means they are completely authentic and organic. This coffee is a great option not just for drinking, but also for making dalgona recipes and using as dessert toppings.
- Product weight — 8 ounces x 6 cans (48 ounces)
- Roast — Medium
- Blend — 100% Arabica
- Versatility is one of the best features of this coffee, as it can be consumed black, with cream and sugar, and as toppings for dessert like ice cream as well as dalgona recipes
- Can be made easily in Moka pots, French press, drip coffee maker, or espresso machine
- Medium roast with aromatic undertones gives it a smooth, rich flavor
- Aromatic undertones might not appeal to coffee drinkers who prefer stronger, darker coffees
- Coffees that can usually be made in Moka as well as espresso machines make it difficult to clean up afterward or have uneven consistency depending on the means of brewing
The Lavazza Qualita Oro Italian Coffee is a balanced, medium roast coffee that is imported from Italy for consumption. The taste of this coffee is best described as a mild, smooth, and even experience. The coffee also boasts of a pleasant floral hint which is a characteristic typically found in Central American coffee. It is made from selected beans and is a 100% Arabica blend.
The medium roast and rich flavor of this coffee make it a perfect companion to finish off a meal, given its long-lasting and intense after taste. It also boasts of a rich crema profile and is more dedicated to good taste and smooth experience than to a coffee kick.
- Product weight — 2.2 pounds
- Blend — 100% Arabica
- Roast — Medium
- A great option for people who want to enjoy the taste of the coffee, as it comes with a rich profile, good crema, and is a sweet medium roast
- Seasoned coffee drinkers would love that the pack comes with whole beans, giving you the experience of grinding it yourself and making your coffee exactly the way you like it
- Sweet taste and floral undertones for people who like their coffee with a little foreign character
- This product comes in the form of whole beans. If you are someone who is pressed for time or does not know exactly how to brew coffee from beans, going for coffee grounds might be a better option
- Might not be the right choice for people who prefer a stronger, darker blend
Though this review has covered most of the details about the best Italian coffee, you might still be wondering which one is the right fit for you. For your benefit, we have curated a buyer’s guide to help you pick the best coffee according to your needs.
- Convenience — Are you someone who enjoys their coffee but doesn’t want to spend too much time or energy into making it? If so, you might want to pick the Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee Dark Roast or the Starbucks Dark Roast K-Cup Coffee Pods.
- Decaf — Do you want the taste of coffee but without giving up a good night’s sleep? Medaglia D’Oro Italian Roast Decaffeinated Espresso Ground Coffee might be the right fit for you.
- Sweet tooth — If you like your coffee to be sweet, or if you prefer cold coffee with sugar and milk, you can go for Lavazza Espresso Italiano Ground Coffee Blend or Lavazza Classico Ground Coffee Blend.
- Customizability — Do you like to control every aspect of exactly how your coffee is made? You might enjoy the whole beans from Lavazza Qualita Oro for your beverage needs.
We live in a world where the coffee from another side of the planet can be at your doorstep with a few clicks on your computer or phone. If you’re truly a coffee lover and you enjoyed finding out about the best Italian coffee enough to have read this entire article, go ahead and order some for yourself!
If you’re interested, feel free to read our other articles on similar topics as well. Happy brewing!
Product Advertising API - Last Updated on 2022-12-02. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this BDMetrics.com